Tell us a story competition terms and conditions
1st Prize in each age category (1 competition winner in each age category 5-7, 8-11, 12-14) includes an illustration of your submitted short story designed by Clive Hicks-Jenkins, a year’s family membership and a Discovery Visit workshop at any of our Discovery Visit sites for you and your school class. One overall competition winner will receive a 3 night’s stay at an English Heritage Holiday Cottage.
Terms and Conditions
- The Promoter is: The English Heritage Trust (‘English Heritage’) of The Engine House, Fire Fly Avenue, Swindon, SN2 2EH.
- These terms and conditions apply to the ‘Tell us a Story’ competition (‘the Competition’), running from 10am 5 July 2019 (the ‘Opening Date’) until midnight 20 September 2019 (the ‘Closing Date’).
- All competition entries received after the Closing Date are automatically disqualified.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- The competition is open to residents of the United Kingdom and Channel Islands aged 5 – 14 with explicit permission from an adult (aged 18 or over).
- Employees or contractors of English Heritage, any person directly or indirectly involved in English Heritage or the running of the competition, or their direct family members are not eligible for the prize.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this Competition.
- By entering this Competition, an entrant is indicating their agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- To enter the Competition entrants must email a story either in the body of the email or a safe attachment as a word document, image (JPEG, PNG) or PDF. The entry must be easily legible for the judges to read and have clear details of name, age, address and name, and address of parent(s) or guardian(s) either in the body of the email or attached entry.
- The winning entries will be contacted via email to the email address provided.
- Entries submitted in any other way will not be accepted.
- Obscene or inappropriate entries will not be accepted and English Heritage reserves the right to reject any entries for any reason at its sole discretion.
- Entries must not infringe the copyright of anyone else and entrants will hold English Heritage harmless from any claims in relation to their entry alleging that the entry infringes the personal or proprietary right of any other person.
- Entrants waive their moral rights in the short story, allowing English Heritage to use, copy, modify, adapt and publicly display their entry.
- All entrants hereby license to English Heritage the use of their entry for display on any English Heritage owned or third-party website or other media for publicity purposes.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person. Multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified.
- English Heritage reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control.. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by the Promoter.
- English Heritage is not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by any third party connected with this competition.
- The competition winners will be chosen by a panel of judges appointed by English Heritage.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The competition winners will be notified by Friday 18 October 2019. If a competition winner cannot be contacted or does not claim their prize within 14 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the competition winner and pick a replacement competition winner.
- English Heritage reserves the right to substitute any prize for one of equal or greater value.
- The Competition Prizes are as stated and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. The Competition Prizes are not transferable.
- The Competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
- English Heritage shall have the right, at its sole discretion and at any time, to change or modify these terms and conditions, such change shall be effective immediately upon posting to this webpage.