Osborne offers a real insight into the private lives of Queen Victoria and her family. Their Isle of Wight home can support learning in many aspects of the curriculum, across numerous subjects.
"Our pupils love visiting Osborne as there’s so much to see and do. A trip to the house, the gardens, Swiss Cottage and the beach inspire them and enhance their learning."
Information about your visit
Our number one priority remains the health, safety and security of all of our visitors, staff and volunteers. Our staff are still working hard to keep everyone safe and make sure you and your group have an enjoyable visit.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’re continuing to limit visitor numbers at some sites and in some indoor spaces. Please book as soon as possible to secure your preferred trip date and times.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit and make sure you download our COVID risk assessments; download a free copy of managing education visits during the pandemic and if you're participating in a Discovery Visit download our managing Discovery Visits during the pandemic risk assessment
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- You’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our terms and conditions for full details.
- Although is it not a requirement, any teachers, parents, or students aged 16 years can check in via the NHS Test and Trace app, using the NHS QR code posters displayed at the site entrance. Please factor this into your travel/arrival time. For more information about how we are handling your personal data for NHS Test and Trace please visit this page.
- Our staff are continuing to wear a face covering in our busy areas and indoor spaces, and we encourage you and your group to do the same where possible.
At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to keep you and your group safe at all times, but for certain sessions we’re still working on this – please check the Discovery Visit section and Facilities section on this page below for further information.
Support your teaching in the classroom by stepping out of it. A visit to Osborne will help you bring learning to life, covering multiple topics across the curriculum and key stages.
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in the locality. Significant changes beyond living memory. The lives of significant individuals in the past
- KS1 Science: Identify a variety of plants and trees, describe the basic structure of a variety of flowering plants and trees. Identify that most living things live in habitats to which they are suited, identify a variety of plants and animals in their habitats, including microhabitats
- KS2 History: A local history study. A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2 Science: Working scientifically. Identify and name a variety of living things in the local and wider environment
- KS2 Art and Design: Use the house and grounds as inspiration for the pupils' own work, create sketch books to record observations
- KS3 History: A local history study. Ideas, political power, industry and empire: Britain, 1745-1901
- KS3 Art and Design: History of art, craft, design and architecture
Free Self-Led Visits
Enjoy a free self-led visit to Osborne and design your day to suit your curriculum needs. Tour the house, including the state rooms and family rooms and marvel at the exotic Durbar room, containing the gifts and paintings given to Queen Victoria as Empress of India. Explore the extensive grounds, including the beach where you can enjoy a pre-booked ‘Royal Tea’ with your pupils and see the Swiss Cottage with its own gardens, once tended by the royal children.
Due to limitations on capacity inside the main house, booking a time slot to visit is essential. Please request a slot when making your booking.Enquire now
Expert-Led Discovery Visits
Our award-winning expert-led Discovery Visits are interactive and immersive. Best of all, we lead them for you. At just £100 per session per class they have been specifically designed to meet the needs of different groups across the key stages. Discover the exciting world of Victorian explorers through object handling and storytelling, have housekeeper Mrs Smith put your class through their paces as Victorian household staff, or discover the history and geology of the Isle of Wight.
Our Discovery Visits have been adapted to follow health and safety guidelines and will still offer your students a quality and fun learning experience.FIND OUT MORE
Take the stress out of planning your visit to Osborne and use our downloadable itineraries. Full of activity ideas and timings, they're a useful tool to make sure you get the most out of your visit. Contact our education bookings team to arrange your school trip.Find out more
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
0370 333 0606
We’re here to support your school trip planning this term. Book your visit online. All bookings must be made at least 14 days in advance. Please make sure you check our terms and conditions ahead of your visit.
If you’d like more information about a site or one of our workshops, get in touch to speak to your local Education Visits Officer.