Almost all of our historic sites are now open. We're delighted to welcome you back.
To help keep everyone safe, visitors and Members need to book an arrival time in advance. Once you arrive, you can stay for as long as you like. We've reduced visitor capacity by a third and demand for tickets is high, so only book if you're sure you can make the date and time of your visit.
Each site has specific measures in place to keep everyone safe. Please check the individual property pages for more details.
What's On This Summer
Step into England’s story this summer. Discover ancient forts, medieval monasteries and world-famous prehistoric monuments. Walk the walls of mighty castles, march along a Roman frontier and wander through grand country gardens.
Find your next adventure today and stand where history happened.Find out more
What to expect from your visit
We’ve introduced new measures for everyone’s safety. Although things might be a little different when you visit, you’ll still be able to enjoy exploring the places where history happened, and you’ll still be given a warm welcome by our friendly staff and volunteers.
- Our staff have been trained in hygiene and social distancing, and we’ve made sure they have the necessary PPE.
- Some sites will be using one way systems and markers on the ground to help visitors keep a safe distance.
- You’ll find new welcome information and site-specific signposts to guide you on your visit.
- Remember to bring a face covering with you. They’re mandatory when buying from our indoor shops, cafes and tearooms. We won’t be able to give you a face covering, so please come prepared so you don’t miss out.
- We’re carrying out more frequent cleaning.
- Protective screens have been put up at some desks and tills.
- We’ve made hand sanitiser available for you to use.
- There are new social distancing barriers, particularly around toilets and admission areas.
At some sites there may be different routes to follow, and certain parts of sites might not be open. We’ve detailed key changes on the individual site pages of our website, so do please check before you visit.
Preparing for your visit
Once you choose your arrival slot online, you’ll receive your booking confirmation by email. Just bring this with you, either on your mobile device or as a print out. The email will contain a barcode that our team will scan when you arrive.
Without a valid booking confirmation, we won’t be able to let you in. If you're a Member, remember to bring your Membership Card. Please see our Reopening FAQs for more information.
We want everyone to be able to enjoy our sites safely, so please:
- Don’t visit if you have symptoms of COVID-19
- Follow the Government and site guidelines on social distancing and hygiene
- Queue and shop alone if you can
- Keep an eye on children
- Remember to bring a face covering if you want to buy anything from an indoor gift shop, tearoom or café.
We're Good to Go
We’re supporting Visit Britain’s We’re Good to Go scheme, an industry standard consumer mark that shows our sites adhere to Government and public health guidance.
In order to qualify, each one of our sites is required to complete a checklist confirming it has the necessary measures in place, including staff training, social distancing measures, and high cleanliness standards.
We’re also taking part in UK’s tourism’s Know Before You Go campaign, which encourages people to find out what is open and when and any restrictions in place, before they visit a heritage site.
Sites not reopening yet
Unfortunately, there are a small number of sites that we can't open just yet. Some of these are undergoing vital conservation work, and at some we aren't able to welcome visitors within social distancing guidelines.